Renata of Testado, Provado & Aprovado! was our Daring Cooks’ April 2011 hostess. Renata challenged us to think “outside the plate” and create our own edible containers! Prizes are being awarded to the most creative edible container and filling, so vote on your favorite from April 17th to May 16th at http://thedaringkitchen.com!
Not much has been happening in this neck of the woods. Our trip to Wyoming was how I expected it to be. Out of respect for Gas Monkey's family, I'm not going to talk much about it. All I can say is that I've been doing a lot of reflecting lately.
Anyways, have you ever made your own taco salad bowls? No?!!! Why not? It is just so darned easy that it is embarrassing when people sound so impressed. It only takes 10-20 minutes- about the amount of time it takes to cook the meat or chop the fillings to go inside.
Ingredients for taco bowl:
2+ aluminum cans
1. Preheat oven to 350-375. While preheating, put two (or more) aluminum cans upside down on the rack. Remember to remove any paper outer coverings.
2. Once the oven has preheated, spray the cans with non-stick. Be careful! You don't want to start a fire.
3. Place each tortilla under running water for a few seconds, or until tortillas feel extra limp. Place each tortilla over the cans. (Note: You may want to spray each tortilla with non-stick or oil to get it extra crispy, and as an extra precaution to keep them from sticking to the cans.
4. After the bottoms of the tortillas have crisped (the side facing the top of the oven), approximately 5-10 minutes, CAREFULLY remove tortillas from cans. Take cans out of the oven and flip the tortilla on the rack so it looks like a bowl. If your tortillas are still limp, add balls of foil on the outside to maintain the structure. Crisp another 5-10 minutes, until slightly browned.
5. Remove shells, allow to cool. Fill 'em up and serve to your happy family!
Some Leafy Green: Lettuce,Spinach, Romaine, or Sliced Red Cabbage
Beans - black or refried
Meat - ground beef/turkey, pulled pork, or diced chicken
Extra-Sharp Cheddar Cheese
Black Olives, sliced
Green onions, chopped
Hot sauce, salsa, or both
What are your essential taco fillings?!